Visa and Passport documents needed for Remote Year

Visas, Passports, and Other Travel Documents Needed for Remote Year

When it comes to visas to passports, these helpful resources are a great place to start as you navigate the documents you’ll need to travel with Remote Year.

Whether you’re traveling for one week, one month, or one year with Remote Year, you’ll need the necessary documentation and paperwork to ensure you’re able to enter each destination without a hitch! As all Remote Year travelers are responsible for securing their own visas for each destination they visit, we’ve put together this preliminary guide to outline documents you may need, helpful resources, and some frequently asked questions ahead of your trip!

Hike experience


Ensure you’re traveling with a valid passport that does not expire for at least six months after returning from your Remote Year travels. If you're running low on blank passport pages, it's advised to get a new passport before leaving, as some countries require you to have blank passport pages when entering.

Group staring at a view


Most countries require you to present a new visa to enter, but for many it’s not as complicated as it may seem. In some countries, depending on your passport’s origin, filing for a tourist visa is simple and can happen straight at the airport. 

As not all passports and countries are the same, we encourage you to check your home country's official travel websites before your departure. Here you’ll be able to source the most accurate information when it comes to entry, exit and visa requirements or health and vaccination regulations. 

People at the airport

Other Documents Needed for Travel

In addition to your passport and necessary visas, it’s advised to bring other necessary documents with you when traveling abroad. 

  • Passport Copies: Make sure to have digital and printed copies of your documentation (i.e. passports), in case you can’t locate the originals. This way if needing to get a new copy, you can contact the local embassy in the country you’re currency residing in, or connect with family members or friends back home to renew from home. 

  • Health Insurance: While we do require travel insurance on Remote Year programs, health insurance is not a requirement for travel (but heavily advised). Some health-related documentation may be required to enter certain countries' borders.

  • Covid-19 Documentation: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, it’s wise to carry around your vaccination documentation as well as other required vaccinations like yellow fever (needed for certain countries in South America). 

  • Extra Passport Images: If your travels involve country hopping, make sure to bring extra passport-sized images to accompany your visa applications. 


Important Tools and Resources: 

Since we aren’t immigration professionals, we aren’t able to advise you on the visa process. The documents and websites linked below should not be considered as immigration or visa advice, but simply general resources for helping you navigate international travel.

  • Visa List—Data here is primarily collected from public sources like Wikipedia, embassy and national websites of different countries.

  • Passport Index—Pick your home country, and the site will tell you whether a visa is required for any other country. This is a good starting point, but it's not official government information, so it shouldn't be your only source of research.

  • Visa HQ—This online tool is similar to Passport Index, but can be used as another information source.Visa HQ will inform you if a tourist visa is required for particular countries and they will also offer to obtain visas for you. For those types of services, you can choose to obtain the visa yourself by working with an embassy or government agency, or enlist the help of our partners listed below.

  • Vietnam- Visa: check out thisVietnam Visa for Dummies Guide created by one of our Remote Year travelers. 

  • Swift Passport Services—Smaller company with dedicated care and for US residents only.

  • CIBT—Semi-global and larger company with more resources.


Frequently Asked Questions: 

I need to know how many days I'm in each country—where can I find my entry and exit dates for my itinerary?

You'll live in each Remote Year city on your itinerary for either 4 or 5 weeks at a time—so, 28 or 35 days. The planned entry and exit dates for your itinerary will be sent to you via email. If you need more details, please email

Can Remote Year provide me with proof of accommodation and the flight itinerary for my visa application?

Sometimes, depending on how many months in advance of your program launch date you're applying for a visa. When we are able to, we will provide you with this documentation, you'll just need to request it from us at In certain cases, it may be necessary for you to book a fully refundable hotel for proof of accommodation.

If someone asks, should I say I'm traveling for tourism or work? Should I obtain a tourist or work visa?

We can't specifically advise you on what to do because we aren't immigration advisors, however, we can tell you that most Remote Year participants (and their employers) have decided to go with tourist visas. The logic behind this is that they are "working while they travel" and not "traveling for work"—the same logic that allows you to bring your laptop on vacation!

What about visiting countries with application fees and visa fees?

For a majority of the countries visited on Remote Year (with the exception of our stop in Vietnam),  there aren’t any monetary requirements for entry. If you decide to visit neighboring countries it may be wise to carry around USD when looking to secure a temporary tourist visa. Most immigration do not take credit cards as forms of payment for temporary visas. 

How long do tourist visas take?

This all depends on a few factors, the two leading ones being the country you are visiting and the country is your passport issued from. As each country’s visa requirements and practices differ, it’s always wise to contact them directly. Some visas happen right at the airport, with an instant application form and immediate processing times, while others require an online application filled out several business days before entry. 

Do I need a digital nomad visa?

An emerging trend for remote workers and the traveling community are digital nomad visas. Digital nomad visas allow remote workers, freelancers, and those who are self-employed to extend the length of a tourist visa. Because Remote Year stays for 1 month in each destination, we typically meet the traditional tourist visa requirement per visiting country and digital nomad visas are therefore not required. 

Beach picnic

And there you have it! We hope you find these resources to be a helpful starting point when it comes to navigating visas, passports, and other travel documents ahead of your Remote Year adventure. For any further questions, please consult with an immigration professional through your Embassy or a private visa company. We can’t wait for you to join us on the road! 

Disclaimer: Each Remote Year participant is responsible for securing their own visas for each destination on their itinerary. We aren't immigration professionals, and the constantly evolving nature of visa and immigration regulations, means that it is not possible for Remote Year to advise on the visa process. Nothing above should be construed as visa advice, immigration advice, or legal advice rendered by Remote Year or anyone employed by or associate with Remote Year.The documents and websites linked above should not be considered as rendering immigration or visa advice, rather, just general resources for helping you navigate international travel. 

Further reading: